All 100 species release a
white substance that looks
like milk when the plant is
Poisonous to Horses
Toxic parts and chemical: all parts are
Symptoms of Poisoning: if as little as
.1% of the horses weight in milkweed is
ingested it can be deadly in 1 to 3 days.
Salivation, colic, bloating, seizures,
abnormal heart rate, hypothermia and
Remove horse from the milkweed plant
and give medication to detoxify the
digestive tract and correct the heart
rate. Sedation may be required.
|Keeping Your Miniature Horse Healthy