Horsechestnut (Aesculus
hippocastanum)

Poisonous to Horses

Toxic parts and chemical: tree is poisonous
when growing (not when dormant in winter).
All parts of new sprouts and young plants
are poisonous.

Symptoms of Poisoning: Within 16 hours of
ingestion. muscle twitching and weakness
appears. Next gastrointestinal irritation and
pain and in more serious cases muscle
spasm and coma can occur.

Remove the horse from the plant and give
laxatives to remove remaining ingested
plant. IV fluids can help but if coma occurs
death usually follows.
Keeping Your Miniature Horse Healthy
horse chestnut
Cruz Mountain Miniature Horses- Home Page