Cherry Tree
(Prunus species)
Poisonous to Horses

Toxic parts and chemical: leaves contain
cyanide. Plant produces cyanide when
wilted and dry, stressed or chewed on by
horses

Symptoms of Poisoning: flared nostrils,
labored breathing, trembling, agitation, loss
of urination and defecation control. Horse
can die within minutes of ingesting it.

Cyanide is not actually present in these
trees until two different components in the
leaves come together, such as when a leaf
is damaged, wilted or broken off, which
causes the two components to meet and
cyanide is produced by chemical reaction.
Keeping Your Miniature Horse Healthy
Cherry Tree
Cruz Mountain Miniature Horses- Home Page